<VV> Rear BOUNCE on a 64 Convertible :

Jim corvair at frontiernet.net
Sat Oct 6 09:38:32 EDT 2018

 At the 1997 CORSA convention in Lake Placid, my Spyder was undergoing the
tech inspection prior to the autocross.  Of course, the back end bounced
when the inspector pushed down on it.  I had new, Clark's adjustable [set to
extra firm] shocks on it.  I complained, and the inspector checked with
Larry Claypool who was supervising.  He said that all earlies bounced like
that because of the suspension design.  He also said that he sold gas shocks
that were modified to fit the early Corvairs.  The only modification was
that he cut notches in the bottom mount of the shock [instead of two holes
to bolt to the suspension, he made the holes into notches].  I ordered two
for my Spyder and two for my Lakewood when I got home.  No more bouncing.

Because Larry is retired, I don't know if he still has the shocks or where
he obtained them.  They had no name on the side.

Jim Bartasevich

Not everything that counts can be counted; and not everything that can be
counted counts. - Albert Einstein