<VV> what the hell was that? / Continued

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Sep 16 10:36:59 EDT 2018

On 9/15/2018 5:26 AM, Eric Kirven via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Hey Randy,
>

> If the car owner has insurance and they tell you your car is totaled tell them you don't want the money. Tell them you want them to replace the car.
> A friend of mine was T-bone in a 10 year old Focus wagon. They wanted to give $1800 for the car as they said is was totaled. She told them to replace it.
> When they bought it they got all the options including leather seats. The only other car that came close to what they had was in Florida. All of a sudden they
> offered her $5,500. Big difference. They are suppose to base the value of the car pre accident.
> So if you had any work done on it before it got hit, new tires things like that should also be taken into account. If you have receipts so much the better.
>

> Above and beyond the cost of the car you should be able to recover cost of sales tax, title and registration.
>

> It would seem to me the adjusters job is to see that the insurance company pays out as little as possible. Doesn't mean you have to take it.
>

> Best of luck.
>

> Eric

Yes! Pre-accident ACV (actual cash value). That's retail value, not
black book dealer auction value, as you have to buy your replacement
vehicle in the retail market. Do your due diligence and get comparable
sales information before you  talk to adjusters.

And it is always better if you do not have to make a rushed decision. Do
you have vehicles you can use for everyday tasks so you are not
dependent on the Mercury or Corvair or rental car? Favorite insurance
trick is "we are pulling the rental, take this offer or walk".

Frank DuVal