<VV> Fuel Leak

Hugo Miller Hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 05:19:26 EDT 2018

An interesting hypothesis, but I'm going to disagree with most of what you
say - apart from the fact that if it is proving so difficult to get a seal
when there's only a couple of pounds pressure, there is clearly something
fundamentally wrong. It just should not be that critical.
A bit of background - I am a coach operator based in the UK. we have a thing
called 'wheel loss syndrome', whereby the left-hand rear wheels tend to fall
off buses. At least that's what the politicians call it - I call it simply
bad engineering practice.
Some years ago we switched to the European system of having right-hand
threads on all wheel fastenings. British vehicles used to have left-hand
thread lug nuts on the left side of the vehicle (as did quality cars also).
This is to counter the effects of 'precession', which will tend to make them
unscrew otherwise. A bicycle pedal will have left-hand threads on the left
pedal for the same reason, which seems counter-intuitive at first, till you
understand the principle of precession.
Anyway, back to bus wheels falling off - the coach and bus industry as a
whole is paranoid about this 'syndrome'. But I am not. The main reason that
wheels keep falling off is because people adopt the procedure you have
outlined - they fit everything dry. Let me try to explain - a bolt or
set-screw is like a spring. When you tighten the nut, it will stretch, and
clamp everything together like a strong spring. On old British Triumph
motorcycles, they didn't give a torque setting for the big-end bolts (conrod
bolts) - you just used to tighten them till they stretched 1/8" or something
like that.
On the back wheel of a bus, with twin wheels, you have a total of six mating
faces. Any dirt, rust or paint on these faces when they are assembled will
inevitably wear off in use, leaving the whole assembly loose. If the studs
are not stretched sufficiently, the whole lot will fall to bits. So the
first thing I do is clean all mating faces. Then I grease them lightly. I
never put two metal surfaces together dry. Then I use copper grease
(anti-seize grease) on the studs and lug nuts. That is to minimise the
friction on the threads, and ensure that the stud is properly stretched and
applying sufficient clamping force. Many if not most operators will fit the
lug nuts dry. The problem with that is that a large part of the tightening
torque is absorbed in overcoming the friction of the thread, and the stud
doesn't stretch sufficiently to clamp everything together. The nuts are
tightened till they are stiff rather than tight. These are the people who
have to check their wheel nuts with a torque wrench every day and fit little
plastic indicators so they can see when they are coming loose. These are the
people who end up in traffic court when their wheels have fallen off, and
everybody scratches their heads because "all the proper procedures have been
followed". I never check mine from one year to the next, I never use a
torque wrench, and they never come loose. The only remaining mystery is why
American trucks & buses don't seem to suffer from this problem.
I realise this diatribe is of limited value when discussing fuel lines.
Power-steering lines will hold a couple of thousand PSI without leaking, so
as I said earlier, it should not be necessary to adopt all sorts of exotic
practices to stop gasoline leaking out at a couple of PSI.  I reckon you are
missing something somewhere.