<VV> Fuel Leak

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Thu Sep 27 21:43:26 EDT 2018

Hugo,

Following your format:

1)  Though related in some applications, the term coriolis effect would be more appropriate than precession in this context.  While gyroscopic effects do occur with wheels and their component parts, the forces are minor.  Yes, wheels are significant gyroscopes especially at higher speeds and larger wheels. However, the effects are minuscule on lug nuts which are the components of interest here.

Yes, the method of centering wheels has evolved.  This is due to the constant drive to reduce manufacturing costs and the ability to maintain accuracy of parts in process.  Error build-up isn't the problem it once was.  However, I don't think the conical vs spigot system should have a bearing on things.  I am willing to admit that I don't have deep knowledge of this as it pertains here.

2)  Again, I believe we agree more than you think.  Yes, the materials in stress operate much like a spring.  As you compress or stretch them, they store energy which results in opposing forces.  I think we are saying the same thing in different words.  You are also correct that there is a friction component between the nut and the wheel.  I ignored that because the discussion started with greasing threads.  I do not know which gives more friction but both the threads and "shoulder" contact contribute significantly.  Neither should be ignored.

3)  I said that you are using excessive force on the studs because you are stretching them further than their design anticipated.  As I said, the studs and lugs on this type of application are designed to withstand forces beyond the designers intentions.  It occurs in both locations.  If you have effectively eliminated the friction from the threads, you must compensate with additional shoulder friction.  What seems to be a flaw in your logic is that the corrosion, heat cycling, etc. only occurs on threaded contact.  Of course, much depends on materials and application.  If you have steel nuts/washers or spigots on aluminum alloy wheels, there is more of an issue.

4)  Obviously, if the manufacturer has designed his process around oiling threads, that is the process that should be followed.  I am unaware of this as a recommendation on any of the cars I have worked on.  I guess that must be just another difference between the Brits and the US.  If this process is common practice over there, why haven't they adopted your solution to the "wheel loss syndrome" you described?

Doc