<VV> Electrical Problem

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Mon Apr 1 06:48:13 EDT 2019

Bill,
Did you replace the starter/solenoid because of this problem?  If you made the replacement before the problem, that would be a strong indication that the problem is related to the starter/solenoid and/or the installation of same.  This is especially the case if the problem started soon after the installation.
Yes, a melted wire in that circuit is probably where the smell originates and is a serious concern for you no matter what.  If you can put your finger somewhere on that wire while trying to start the car, and it gets hot, you will confirm it is the wire that smells and this will help you focus your investigation.  There are several possibilities and experiments.... Process of elimination.
This is my logic; if the "BAT" wire isn't burning in any position other than the start position, the problem is either in the switch, the wire between the switch and the solenoid or in the solenoid itself.  The starter draws current from the battery once the solenoid kicks in.  The starter itself should not pull amps through the switch-solenoid wire.  Here are some things to try.
While you are experimenting with the bat wire, are there any other wires that get hot?  Again, the wire to the solenoid is the suspect.  It could be that the wire to the solenoid has a partial/resistive ground or even the solenoid has a partial ground but not enough to prevent the solenoid kicking in.

1.  Check the wire to the solenoid to see if there is any evidence of melted insulation.  It may not be obvious.  Keep in mind that the "BAT" wire will carry more current than the wire to the solenoid and may melt insulation before the solenoid wire.  If you can put your finger on the solenoid wire and it gets hot too while starting, you have narrowed your search even if it hasn't melted.  The problem is downstream from the switch.  Keep in mind that if the wire is hot enough to melt insulation, it is hot enough to burn your finger.

2.  If "1" doesn't yield results, remove the wire between the switch and the solenoid from the back of the switch.  Turn to the start position.  If the "BAT" wire gets hot, there is probably a short in the switch or some other wire or wires exiting the switch in the start position.  In this situation the switch would be my first focus.  Other wires are unlikely to be the problem but cumulative amp draw could be the issue.

3.  If "1" and "2" don't yield results, remove the wire from the solenoid.  Jumper between the battery and the solenoid with a wire of the same gauge as the one between the switch and the solenoid.  You can do this by jumping between the heavy starter wire and the solenoid terminal.  Use a wire and not a screwdriver or other tool.  See if the insulation melts or gets hot.  If so, it is likely to be the solenoid that is the problem.
Note:  If you don't have wire of the proper gauge, use what you have that is close but slightly heavier, if possible.  In any case, if the jumper wire is heavier gauge than the existing wires, the insulation may not melt but it will probably still get hot.
By the way, logic doesn't always dictate the solution.  I have found electrical problems to be a real nightmare especially where there are resistive shorts.  My worst automotive electrical problem in memory was the electric fuel pump circuit on a Datson 260 Z.  My testing kept coming back to the heater control but my "logic" told me that this couldn't be.  Out of desperation, I finally replaced the heater control and the problem was resolved.  What were they thinking?  It was probably an Engineering afterthought or some insane attempt to save a buck or two in manufacturing.  Probably the latter.  Oh well.
Happy hunting.
Doc
PS: You may want to replace the "BAT" wire after you track down the problem.  The wire between the switch and the solenoid will be suspect too if the problem is either in the wire or the solenoid.  (Assuming my logic holds true.)  The melted insulation where you can see it may look "good enough" but it may be far worse where you can't see it and may eventually lead to a short or even a fire in your car.  Some day I will tell you the story of an AUDI that lost the wiring harness from the battery under the back seat to everything forward of that.  The problem occurred hours after someone replaced the switch due to someone breaking off the key in it.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~