<VV> Electrical Problem

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Mon Apr 1 08:51:46 EDT 2019

It may be that you have a dirty connection inside the switch that is
causing the terminal to get hot. But that is party contradicted by the
fact that it starts up ok. On the other hand, my theory is partly
re-inforced by the fact that it keeps cutting out.
My money is on the ign/starter switch. Try by-passing the switch to
operate the starter & see whether you still get the smell.
My guess is that the 'hot' terminal on the switch has a dirty
connection, which works (most of the time) when it only has to power the
coil, but gets hot when energising the starter solenoid.
Also, if you have a resistor in the coil circuit, don't forget that the
starter circuit by-passes the resistor and feeds the coil directly, so
it isn't just the starter that is energised when you turn the key to
'start', it is also the coil. That is if you have a resistor. If you
don't, this won't apply of course.