<VV> Convertible top install

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:36:15 EST 2019

G’day everyone,
This request for Corvair convertible related advice is probably best directed to anyone who has ever been through the lengthy but all important process of replacing the soft top material on a convertible and ever better if that convertible was a late model Corvair.

I am currently working on installing a complete reproduction Clarks Corvair Parts supplied convertible top on to our right hand drive1965 Monza convertible. If you have done this job, then you will probably know that the top cover is attached the leading edge and to three cross bows.

The leading (windscreen) edge and two of the ‘cross bows’ have ‘tack strip’ material that during manufacture was glued, stapled and or clipped to the cross bows. While this tack strip material appeared to be in good condition, on our convertible. My top installer advises me to replace this tack material nevertheless as after 50 plus years it will be brittle, hard, dry and may not secure the top as it should.

Removing the old tack material took a little longer than I had expected but it’s all removed now and I have cleaned and repainted the areas where thie replacement material will be fitted. Clarks Corvair Parts supply two sheets of water proof cardboard which I get the impression needs to be cut into strips. These strips are then glued together to form the replacement tack strips.

However, I am wondering if in 2019 there might be a better material to use to provide these tack strips? A friend has recommended ‘Polyurethane’ which I think is used for suspension bushings and engine mounts so maybe it could be ideal. However I know little about how Polyurethane or even what form it comes in. Is  it purchased in liquid form and is then moulded to in whatever form is needed or do you buy it in hard form?

Any advice or comments about the best material to use to form these ‘tack strips’ would be more than appreciated.
Regards
Carl Kelsen
1965 RHD Corvair Monza convertible
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia