<VV> Finding manual transmission oil locally?

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 10:08:21 EDT 2019

Why? Because I thought it might be helpful. Gear oils have changed a
lot since Corvair were made. Most notably, there used to be a clear
distinction between hypoind oils and EP oils. Now, by some magic, they
have combined the qualities of the two - which may be good news for
hypoid diffs, but it is definitely not good news for synchro boxes, as
the hypoid element makes the synchro cones slip instead of biting.
The reason I mentioned it at all is that I had a friend with a German
ZF commercial gearbox. He had just had it serviced, and when he got it
back it was practically undriveable. It turned out that the agents had
changed the gearbox oil and filled it with hypoid (or maybe Hypoid/EP)
oil. I had never come across this issue before, so I called ZF. They
were aware of it, and recommended using ATF in their synchro boxes. I
have always used ATF since then, and it definitely gives improved gear
changing.
I am guessing that this info may be news to some readers, as it was to
me, so I decided to share it.
I don't think location is important in this day and age - eBay is only
a click away once you decidat you are looking for.