<VV> Does diff share oil with PG?

Charles Sadek Chsadek at comcast.net
Tue Jul 23 17:09:41 EDT 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: On Behalf Of Charles Lee via VirtualVairs

Main question: Does the LM (or any Corvair) diff share oil with PG?

 **** No.

The PG does not appear to leak and was OK when I first got the car.

I tilted my '65 110 PG to work on the starter.
Before working the floor was (almost) clean, but when I tilted the driver's
side of car, I have a leak from the inboard rt side strut bolts.
*** Doubt it is from there.
I inspected around the area for the source ~ the big side "nut" on the diff
seems clean, but oil was dripping from the lower strut rod bolt heads while
I pulled the starter out, and pooled a LOT of oil in that short time.

***Sounds like coming from the axle yoke seal. Lower strut rod bolt holes
normally do not go thru into diff cavity.

The car has not been driven at all in the last few weeks.
I removed the bolts (without removing the strut rod bracket from the diff)
and cleaned the oil up to let her sit overnight.

Next day, there is no more noticeable oil on the brackets or on the floor.

 ***Again, doubt the oil came from the bolt holes. Sitting over night, if it
had leaked from a bolt hole, there would at least be a seepage even if diff
was sort of empty

So, all of the oil leaked out, or the oil level is below the leak?

 ***Oil level is beneath axle yoke seal. The big square nut is the oil check
hole. Differential fluid/oil should be at bottom of that hole.

Any insights I need to figure this out?

Charles Lee