<VV> 145 Turbo

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Jun 1 18:20:26 EDT 2019

I am always wary of quoting compression ratios. The figures in
themselves are meaningless unless you take cam timing into account. As a
rule of thumb, the lower the CR, the more bottom end torque an engine
will put out (I am talking about engines in general, not Corvairs
specifically, about which I know very little). The reason for this is
that if you have a low notional CR, it implies that the inlet cam is
going to be closing early, and that in itself will give good torque. By
contrast, some high performance engines have notional CR's up there with
diesel engines. The only way they can tolerate this is by leaving the
inlet valve open till very late in the cycle, which will give power at
high rpm, but not so much lower down.
Another thing I like in an engine is a torque figure which is higher
than the bhp figure.