<VV> Fwd: New fuel lines in engine bay

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Tue Jun 4 15:41:16 EDT 2019

> I decided that since several of the line nuts were boogered up that I would just buy new lines with the nuts from Clarks.?I know that I should be able to spin on all the nuts most of the way by hand,Now, question is, when it comes time to wrench on them, how tight is too tight??BTW??I have the proper wrenches.?

Ralph:

One thing you don't want to do is over tighten them.  I did that once
and I managed to cause the flared end of the line to crack underneath
the nut.   The crisp smell of fresh gasoline flooding the engine
compartment gets your attention like nothing else...

I would concur with Frank D: "one good grunt".  I.e., tighten it by hand
and then something like a quarter turn after that with the wrench.   I'm
interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

Also: You didn't say whether this is for a 95/110 or a 140, but the
shorter line pieces from Clark's are relatively cheap.  I happened to
have one of the little "L" pieces fail (Clarks C2341) so I bought an
extra when I ordered the replacement. I keep it in glove compartment
just so I won't get stranded again.

Steven J. Serenska
Bristol, RI
'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4, extra Clark's C2341 in the glovebox