<VV> Finding manual transmission oil locally?

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 08:00:40 EDT 2019

As a general rule, synchromesh transmissions run best on ATF. What you
want to avoid is hypoid oil, as this will allow the synchro cones to
slip & slide without biting. I have known commercial ZF transmissions
become almost underiveable when filled with hypoid oil.
The problem is that in the good old days, we had hypoid gear oils and
we had EP (extreme pressure) gear oils. So you had EP 90, which was good
for synchro transmissions, and Hypoid 90, which was not. The two were
quite different.
But today, through the magic of modern chemistry, we see EP/hypoid
oils, which serve both functions. I would avoid these and use ATF or EP
90 if you can find it.
I'm not up to speed with the GL numbers - Google will tell you more
than I can. Just steer clear of anything with 'hypoid' on the label.