<VV> Engine identification.

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 12 22:00:09 EDT 2019

Well, you have one small bearing top cover and one larger bearing top
cover. That you know for sure! The small bearing has an OD of 30 mm, and
the larger one is either 35 or 36 mm, I forgot.

Now, the 1960 140 cu in, the 61 to 63 145 cu in AND the 1964 164 cubic
inch engines cam with small fan bearings. Large fan bearings began in
the 1965 year, NOT when the change to 164 cubic inch happened. So, 1964
has the small bearing and the magnesium fan (one year only item), and is
164 cu in.

Of course, I have seen top covers changed, as Smitty points out below,
so that is why you only know you have small and large bearings!

I agree, buy a Junkyard Primer, it is usually right.

Frank DuVal

Smitty has an iPad?

Handy device, I put shop manuals and the Junkyard Primer on my iPad and
phone. Very handy when I'm somewhere and get asked a question of what
fits what.