<VV> Broken Starter "Nose"

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Fri May 17 17:27:56 EDT 2019

That's enough to fracture a starter nose casting? That's some
kick-back! Corvairs must have a strong crank!
My wife (we're British) runs a 1958 Morris Minor - little 60 cu in 4
cylinder. I fitted an electronic distributor and it would kick back
violently when you pulled the starter. Didn't do it when hand-cranking.
We decided that the hefty starter current was inducing random sparks in
the distributor (which lives right next to the starter motor). There
isn't a nose on the starter - it's a 'crash' type - but it never bent
the shaft.