<VV> FC van choke and Greenbrier weatherstrips.

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 13:19:46 EST 2019

I understand all that perfectly, so there is no need to keep repeating
it. And whilst it's very kind of you to 'point me in the direction of
the shop manual' I already know know how to read a workshop maual, but
it doesn't show what I need to know. If it did, I wouldn't be posting
queries on here!
But there still some things that don't quite add up. I do not have a
"plate held on by two screws" on the firewall. The pic in the manual
seems to show a plate held on by FOUR screws, but on closer inspection
the bottom two may not be screws. It's impossible to see what they are.
I do have two screws in the firewall, but no marks anywhere indicating
the presence of a bracket in the past. It is not impossible that there
was one there at some point though. If so, that invites the question of
why anybody would remove the entire choke operating mechanism when it
has manual choke carbs (of which I have four - two spares came with the
vehicle).
The bigger puzzle is what has happened at the front end. There is one
question that only GM can answer - why on Earth would they print the
word 'CHOKE' on the dash and not have a hole underneath it for the
choke, necessitating having to fit a seperate panel to accommodate the
choke cable. That's very odd, to put it mildly.
What I am missing is any holes under the dash to accommodate a choke
cable bracket. Surprisingly, the manual contains no pictures anywhere of
the dash layout. But I did find an oblique picture in a different
section that does appear to show such a bracket to the left of the
steering wheel. I have the wiper & washer switches mounted there,
clearly off a Spyder. So that presumably is where the holes went! I'm
sure somebody said they were on the right?
The long and the short of all this is that you cannot have a manual
choke with a Spyder dash. Yet that is exactly what I have! Maybe that's
why the previous owner gave up, when he realised what a pickle he had
got himself into! I do have the original dash, but it's a bit scruffy. I
have found a nicer one on good old eBay & I plan to use the Spyder dash
on one of my cars.
But at the end of the day it's still going to be easier for me to swap
carbs than construct a choke mechanism from scratch. In the meantime, I
just use a squirt of brake cleaner down the air intakes to get it going
from cold, then it will run happily without a choke, which is just as
well in the circumstances.