<VV> Pin Offset - Description

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 17:33:05 EST 2019

Thanks - I understand the concept well enough - but I am amazed that I
have never come across this in all the years I have been playing with
engines. I have a sneaking feeling this is a US rather than a UK
practice, and I intend to research this.
I found an article where an engne rebuilder had assembled a V8 engine
with all the marks pointing towards the camshaft. You can see their
logic, but all the marks should have been to the right (or left, I
forget now). The fact that it subsequently rattled indicates that the
few thou involved are enough to make a difference.
About forty years ago I had an Aston DB5 that had a horrible piston
slap on one cylinder when cold. It was easy enough to identify the
cylinder by pulling the plug leads off one by one, and I duly stripped
the engine down. There was absolutely no visually identifiable reason
why that piston would have made a noise, but I replaced it and the noise
went away.
If you want something really weird, there is an ancient British car
alled a Trojan. It has a sort of V twin arrangement, but one cylinder is
an auxilliary pumping cylinder. The weird part is that there is only one
conrod, cast in the form of a V. On each stroke, this has to bend a
little. I refused to believe this when I first heard it, but I spoke to
someone who owns one and he confirmed that it is correct!