<VV> Turbo Motor Cycling

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Wed Oct 30 11:11:21 EDT 2019

I am finishing up a project for a fellow club member to get his 1965 Turbo convertible back on the road.  He dropped the valve seat which cause significant damage so a total engine rebuild was necessary.  Using all stock parts I rebuilt the engine.  I then ran it on the run stand that we have here in our club.  I ran it with two carburetors while both the Turbo and the carburetor were out for professional rebuilding.

While on the engine stand it ran flawlessly.  Now that is installed in the car and the Turbo with his carburetor is installed there is a cycling problem.  The engine fires instantly and with the choke disconnected idles but the idle fluctuates from about 690 RPM to about 920 RPM.  The cycling is slow in other words it will run for a couple of seconds may be as much as 30 seconds and then the idle will jump either up or down.

As mentioned all the parts are stock to include the camshaft.  Timing is set at 24° as per the shop manual.  Not being a Turbo guru I am stumped.  Is it possible that this cycling is caused by an improper setting of the idle mixture or is there some other issue?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.