<VV> Manual Transaxle Oil

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Sep 14 12:57:41 EDT 2019

That still leaves the circle to be squared in that synchromesh
gearboxes do not like hypoid gear oils. The hypoid oils are designed to
help gears slide against one another, which means that the synchro cones
will slide instead of biting. I have known a commercial vehicle with a
ZF gearbox be rendered practically un-driveable when they put hypoid oil
in the gearbox. I would think that is a bigger problem than the risk of
corrosion. ZF's suggestion was to use ATF, and that absolutely
transformed the vehicle.
Also, hypoid and EP oils used to be two different animals. Many
gearboxes of that era used EP90 in the gearbox, but never hypoid. Now,
by the magic of modern chemistry, they seem to have combined both
properties in one lubricant.
What the solution is I do not know. ATF is an EP oil which is suitable
for the gearbox but not for the hypoid diff. Hypoid oil is good for the
diff but might mess up the gear-change. If they had seperated the two,
there would be no problem.
Having said all that, the Mini, when it was introduced, ran the whole
lot - engine, gears and diff - on the engine oil alone, and they worked
just fine. But I don't think they had hypoid diffs.