<VV> Corona Virus MK II

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 15:01:02 EDT 2020

Hugo,
Mostly I agree with your statements.  However, I would like to comment and elaborate.
I agree that we all need to make our own decisions about "social distancing" but the government has injected itself into the discussion; as it should.  There are bans on non-essential gatherings and conventions are on that list.  The details vary from place to place but they are everywhere and are getting more restrictive.  By the time the convention rolls around, our ability to make our own decision to attend may be moot.  Whether or not the medical universe has discovered a treatment or cure for the virus, the 2020 convention has been maimed if not killed.  If it is not cancelled, it will become the worst attended convention to date.  This will be devastating for CORSA and the host chapter.  There are already significant expenditures and many of the deposits will not be refunded or at best only partially so.  This is beside the fact that CORSA relies heavily on anticipated profits from successful conventions.
I agree with your assessment of statistics.  One of my favorite historical figures is Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens.  He once said, "There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics."  I think he also said, "Figures don't lie, but liars figure."  Yes this new pandemic is getting a lot of attention even though the numbers so far are minimal compared to the flu.  The operative words there are, "so far."  The media has been laser focused on it and it has become a disgusting political football.  Don't get me wrong.  I am not suggesting that we downplay the coronavirus in any way.  The deaths, illness and financial devastation will resonate worldwide for many years if not decades.  How bad it will become is yet to be determined.  As we are all painfully aware, the "traditional" flu epidemic is perpetual.  We need to get vaccinated every year for protection from the newest version.  The reason is that viruses readily mutate.  The reason is that they are very simple in construction.  They are so simple that some scientists do not classify them as life forms.  The point is that mutations of the coronavirus may come back to haunt (and kill) us forever taking lives every year just as the influenza virus and common cold does.  You can't build a herd immunity to something that constantly changes.  It is too soon to tell if or how it might mutate.  I do not know if the response can be classified as "hysterical" but I would be very happy if next year we can look back with scorn at the over-reaction and then work towards repairing the devastation.  If nothing else, this disease has pointed out some of the risks we have been taking with the public's health and the risks we have allowed to evolve by placing so many eggs in one basket.  It seems ironic that China, the source of this pandemic, controls critical elements of 90% of all pharmaceuticals in the USA and, I assume, other nations.  This is not to mention the "critical path" links in the chain that are controlled by China as regards so many aspects of life we take for granted.  (... and that is a worldwide "we.")
The panic to which you refer may well be the motivator to prepare for the next one.  As you said, it "could be worse."
In any case, even before the pandemic took front stage, I had no solid plans to attend the convention even though I can drive there in half a day.  However, if things settle down by July with respect to the health issues, I will attend if for no other reason than to support CORSA.  Of course, this assumes that the convention has not been cancelled.