<VV> Wazzupp!

tony underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Apr 17 10:05:56 EDT 2020

> On April 17, 2020 at 8:43 AM Rick Norris via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
>

> Our Gov, Big Jim gives daily briefings that are so hard to watch I began
> picturing Nancy Pelosi nekkid....izzat weird or just me??

It's weird.

I am very proud to state that I have never used a rattle can on a Corvair other than using a can of Rustoleum on the roof to hold down the "tail end" of a piece of masking paper to keep from getting primer on the glass.

When I was a kid there was a guy down the street with a '49 Ford.  He evidently decided it should be black.  (formerly a dark blue, mostly)  He painted it in front of his house on the street.  With a brush.  He painted everything including the badges and trim, just dodged around the glassworks and lights.  It looked relatively ok from about 100 feet...

Anything much closer and you could see the brush streaks.

Someone sold my bud Danny an early 4-door (Danny was always buying up ragged Corvairs for cheap to part out for swap meets and local sales, back when Corvairs had so little value a decent shape example in good running order could be had (at least around here) for a couple hundred bucks, depending on year and style.  I never paid more than 400 bucks for any Corvair til I paid Danny 800 bucks for two Lakewoods several years ago, one with 53,000 original miles and decent factory Red paint and a leaky head gasket, the other was faded-to-almost-white Seafoam, straight and solid but terrible interior, no title, and broken windshield, seems Danny had lost his storage and had nowhere to put them etc.

I sold the red one, kept the faded no-title one.  It had been thrown in with the red one with the remark, "You buy the red one, you have to take the other one."   I ended up feeling sorry for the "other one" what with it being so miserably unloved to having been relegated to becoming a throw-away object.

Somebody at one time musta cared about it... when I finally got the hatch open (there were no keys, lost with the original title a decade or more ago) I lifted the engine cover to see a nicely redone and detailed engine compartment that looked fine.  It rather surprised me, expected to see rat's nests and acorns and dull peeling paint everywhere.  But, nope.

It needs to be attacked soon, I'm curious to hear it run, once I manage to recommission the thing seeing as how it hasn't been touched mechanically in appx. 20 years (or more) according to the trail of former owners whose hands it had passed through.

It's time is coming.  Hopefully sooner than later, front seat needs scrapping, nothing but the frame and springs, no covering no padding no nuthin.  And what's still there is rusty.  Thus, I'm gonna be on the lookout for an early model front seat for a 700... or a late '60s Buick or Olds or Chevy intermediate front set which will drop right in, like the Buick Special front seat currently in my '60 4-door which once having been recovered/restored along with the rest of the upholstery to factory appearance looks as if it came with the car... except for the folding back halves (it came from a 2-door and the flip-down center armrest.

At this time and point, it's unsure whether there's gonna be a Vair Fair here this summer... not unless something about the draconian treatment of any groups/gatherings is backed off a bit, courtesy of the current commonwealth government, of which I am NO fan. (flaky governor... but I digress).

I'm likely to have to either cough up some bucks to straighten out the interior or get lucky and find good/restorable used.  Oddly enough, when I lifted up (with difficulty) the folded-down back seat, which evidently had been folded down for most of its life, there was near-perfect appearing blue factory upholstery there.  But it was so hard and brittle I'd never dare try to sit on it, likely would splinter.  I folded the seat back down, deal with it later.

I still wanna get some paint on the '60 4-door... and there are still a couple other things needing attention as well.  And I Really need to clear out and organize all the crap cluttering up the shop.  Really.

tony..