<VV> Coils

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Feb 15 16:41:09 EST 2020

Silly question, but are they the correct voltage?
I had a similar puzzle with a friend's car back in the UK, which
stopped for no obvious reason with no spark. It was a 1958 Austin-Healy
Sprite, with the tried & tested Lucas ignition system used in the
majority of British cars of the period. There are only a limited number
of things that can cause a loss of spark, but this was one I had never
seen before - the rotor arm. Turns out they Chinese are making rotor
arms which are prone to shorting out (grounding I should say) onto the
center distributor shaft. This is recognized as a common problem today,
and if you want a reliable ignition system you have to fit a red rotor
arm. Not sure who makes them but they don't ground out like the Chinese
ones!
Another problem that never used to exist is flexible brake hoses that
get blocked internally or start working like one-way valves. I believe
this happened when they introduced some sort of internal lining to stop
them sucking in water from the atmosphere.
Progress I suppose?