<VV> Fuel Tank Collapse

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Feb 15 19:40:19 EST 2020

On 2/15/2020 12:45 PM, Grant Young via VirtualVairs wrote:
> GM had a problem with collapsing tanks when they went to plastic. I had one replaced on my 1995 Impala SS because when it got low on fuel the tank would partially collapse - resulting in a tow to home, and then it would be fine when it was backed off the tow truck. Heard it was a problem for several years until they made the tank stronger.

I had a '69 Barracuda that sucked its gas tank almost flat after the gas
cap vent got plugged somehow.   Aggravating.

I fixed it by first buying another gas cap, then I made a rubber collar
that fit the filler neck, drilled a hole through it, jammed it into the
filler neck and stuck my air hose in the hole and pumped the tank back
up til it went "plonk" and popped back into what was fairly close to its
original shape.  It only took about 5 PSI to do it.

tony..