<VV> 'Hour-glass' head screws?

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 17:19:38 EST 2020

For all I knew, it could have been invented by somebody named "Clutch".
Turns out the inventor was JOSEPH F. FIEG and his US patent, granted in
1933, is number 1,894,034.  You can look it up to read the whole thing.
There is an explanation of the advantages.  However, this part is where
"clutch" came from:
"In accordance with this invention I provide a screw head having a recess or
socket rather than a slot adapted to receive and retain a screw driver blade
therein, the recess being provided with tooth-like diametrically opposite
projections which closely resemble clutch teeth whereby the screw driver is
in a sense connected to the screw head by a clutchlike connection."
So it does relate to grad hold and has nothing to do with one-way.

There are multiples of this style head under the dash board of early-early
Corvairs and FCs.  They are also scattered around other places in the
interior.  I think they are on some of the door latches.  They are also all
over in the cargo areas of FCs.

Jim Becker