<VV> Fwd: Another 140 question or 3

Seth Emerson sethracer at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 17:05:36 EST 2020

Randy writes:

I have another 140 question or 3:  #1.  You say I can use primary carbs as secondaries.  Fair enough.  Does the year matter?  What about jet size?  And if I use '65 and up carbs, does the power enrichment circuit need to be disabled?  I have a decent set of '63 primaries I could possibly use.

The 63 Primaries should work fine as secondaries. Match the secondary jets to the primaries. You can leave the idle circuits in place - it is a good idea because it will keep some fuel passing through them in normal operation. My first Corvair was a 65 140 Corsa convertible. I bought it with 22K miles in Feb 1967, off a Chevrolet dealers OKAY used car lot. It ran great, and got good mileage, but would heat up a bunch on the highway. When I opened the secondary carbs up, I found about 1/2" of water in the float bowls, beneath that, solid crud to the bottom of the bowls, covering the jets. No fuel had passed through those carbs in many months.  Even if you don't use your secondary carbs - Like the previous owner of my car never did - the little fuel going through will keep the inside cleaner. It does mean tweaking all four mixture screws during a tune-up. If you use later carbs with enrichment circuits, just pick the correct (early model) gasket for under the cluster casting. (the one without the extra hole). That will shut off the circuit.I suggest you use the secondary carbs on a regular basis - Tell your passengers you have to accelerate like that through the gears to keep the secondary carbs cleaned out.  "Honest, Officer . . . . . . "
Seth