<VV> Axle shafts

Charles Sadek Chsadek at comcast.net
Tue Mar 3 20:32:54 EST 2020

This is an early, right? A 64? The big castellated nut holds the axle part
of the u-joint yoke to the axle. Yes, splines do wear and it is possible for
that to need work. That yoke via a U-joint attaches to a corresponding yoke
and splines that enter the differential and slide in and out., There is no
retaining nut on an early. So, is the play rotational or just loose between
the axle and the yoke or is it the differential side that slides in and out
(which is normal)? The Late Model (LM) has a (geared) nut inside the
differential evidenced by a 9/16th bolt head in the center of that yoke
(that you can see). That is not the case in an early model. The yoke is not
captured in an early while it is in a LM.
I am not clear at all about the big nut holding bearings.. I don't' get that
at all. Or understand where those bearings are. Look at your 64 manual
again. Or any early model manual from GM. Do not trust the odd ball non-GM
manuals, unless from CORSA, Bob Helt or a few other select authors who are
CORSA members.