<VV> Amber Turn Signal Issues

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 3 21:44:47 EST 2020

G’day everyone,
Recently I posted a note covering a problem I was having with a converting the rear  red turns signals on our ‘65 Monza convertible to amber by using switch back LED globes behind our cars white back up lights.

After some searching, reading and trails I suddenly realised my problem! American cars use an unusual set up where the same tail lamps serves as a tail/running light, brake/stop light and also a red turn signal. In my opinion, a less than ideal arrangement.

With this US system the red turn signal and brake lights use the same circuit and when the brake light is working it over rides the red turn signal. So the fix for my problem was simply to have brake light feed by pass the turn signal feed.

I am pleased say that I now have correctly functioning RED tail /stop lights, AMBER turn signals from the cars white back up lights while retaining the cars WHITE back up lights. This system provides clear signals but does not alter the cars appearance. Thanks to all of you offered your kind advice. It was most appreciated.

Now, I will turn my attention back to the wiring of our cars electric fuel pump.
Regards from Australia
Carl Kelsen