<VV> Axle shafts

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 22:25:19 EST 2020

That is what I said I thought it was, if you recall. It may be that it
will tighten and take up the slack, although I realise that is unlikely,
and even if it works it is no more than a sticking plaster. I was just
looking for confirmation that I hadn't missed anything. I might sound as
though I'm blindly tinkering, but I do have a pretty good idea what I'm
doing, so there's no need to patronise me.
What I do NOT have is any idea why there is play in my right side axle
shaft, and that is the advice I was seeking.
And yes, I probably will have to pull the drive train and rebuild it.
But not just yet - first I have to rebuild the engine to go in there.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

“Big castellated nut thingy behind the yoke” - are you talking about
the differential side bearing adjusting sleeves?  Leave those alone
unless you really want to pull the entire drive train and rebuild your
differential.

No, Chuck, no - there is NOT a castellated nut that holds the axle part
of the u-joint to the axle on an early model.

Hugo - please stop tinkering with your car.  Take some time to get the
appropriate manuals and read and familiarize yourself with the parts of
your car before you go any further.  Or, if not that, meet up with a
local Corvair club to look over it with you.

Bill