<VV> Axle shafts

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Mar 4 00:08:39 EST 2020

"It may be that it will tighten and take up the slack,"

Oh, it will take up the slack, just not the slack you are seeing. It
will take up the pinion to ring gear slack! Or make it worse, depending
on which side bearing adjuster you are turning. One pushes the ring gear
into the pinion, the other side adjuster moves the ring gear away from
the pinion....

Play in an axle yoke  is NORMAL. The degree of play is whether or not
there is an issue to address. Since an early yoke slides in and out in
the swing of the swing axle, it wears on the area that fits into the
differential. Enough wear and then there is too much slop. Mostly I
ignore it until the seal can't take the looseness and the gear  lube
oozes out too much, leaving a mess and running the differential low on
fluid.

Lates bolt the yoke to an internal nut, keeping it in place.

" sticking plaster."  Ha! Brit Speak for Band-Aid fixes.....

Frank DuVal