<VV> Loose axle

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 17:45:47 EST 2020

On 2020-03-04 16:02, Smitty wrote:
[edited]
> I would like you to be more restrained when commenting.  I didn’t see
> Bills comments as being patronizing.  Just a knowlegible longtime
> Early owner trying to keep a newbie from making what could be an
> expensive and time consuming mistake.  It doesn’t pay to assume when
> dealing with persons ranging from automotive engineers to a teen age
> kid that doesn’t know a left handed monkey wrench from a screwdriver.
>        Smitty
>
> Sent from my iPad

This is the comment I described as patronising;

"Hugo - please stop tinkering with your car.  Take some time to get the
appropriate manuals and read and familiarize yourself with the parts of
your car before you go any further.  Or, if not that, meet up with a
local Corvair club to look over it with you.
Bill"

And it is. Damned patronising. Telling me to stop 'tinkering' with my
own car. Who has the right to tell me that? I've been 'tinkering' with
cars and commercial vehicles in a professional capacity for the last
fifty-odd years.
I was seeking advice on whether anybody had similar experience of play
in the axle shaft, as I couldn't see exactly where it originated. I will
happily listen to advice from any quarter. But please don't talk down to
me. That is guaranteed to piss me off.
Going back to my original question, there seems to be a consensus that
the play is where the yoke runs in the diff gear / housing. There is
just a remote possibility that a new yoke will cure or alleviate it, but
Sod's law says that's unlikely. I've got to drop the whole lot out some
time soon anyway, so it will have to do until that happens.