<VV> Loose axle.

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 22:36:44 EST 2020

Let me start afresh, as the waters seem to be getting muddied, as they
invariably do with any extended internet exchange. I was getting up &
down play at the inboard end of the axle shaft (not end-to-end). I
speculated that, among other possibilities, this may have been due to
play in the differential bearings (the big ones). That was why I was
intending to make sure that castellated nut was tight. I also made clear
that I was fully aware that if there WERE play in there, it would almost
certainly have been due to one of the bearings breaking up, so if that
were the case I knew I had a bigger problem to deal with.
This was always fairly well down my list of possibilities, but then Ed
Lindsay from West Florida Corvairs chimed in to suggest that the whole
issue may have been due to nothing more than the suspension being
partially dropped, thereby pulling the axle shaft part of the way out of
the diff. And it turns out he was dead right. I checked it with the car
with its feet on the ground and the play had gone.
I was never in any doubt, incidentally, about the function of those
castellated nuts or the bearings behind them - I was merely speculating
as to whether that is where the problem may have lain. So all the
various admonishments that I should get a manual etc were missing the
point of my enquiry. This is a continual phenomenon with internet
exchanges unfortunately. A person will say one thing, but the person
reading it hears something different. It always happens, so everybody
always ends up at cross-purposes, which is frustrating!
I hope my thought processes are now a bit clearer. I have to say I was
surprised that dropping the suspension a few degrees would make such a
difference to the play, but it has. Similarly I was very surprised that
cleaning one carburettor has completely cured the detonation I was
getting and transformed the running of the car. But it has. The only
remaining test is whether my efforts at blowing and sucking all the dead
leaves out of the fins without taking the top cover off have been
successful. I haven't been on a long enough run yet to find out, but I
have a good feeling about it, and I do seem to be on a roll at the
moment (famous last words!). We shall see!