<VV> Carbs

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 09:10:41 EST 2020

Yes indeed - the Rochester does perform well. Surprisingly so given its
level of complication. I never said it didn't work - my gripe is that it
is a complex solution to a simple problem, although it is no worse than
the majority of carbs in this respect. The advantage of the SU is that
it is so elegantly simple - just one jet in the whole carb and a
vacuum-operated piston to vary the size of the venturi. Only two moving
parts in the whole thing. Plus there is a vast range of needles so you
can tweak the mixture at every degree of throttle opening. The only
disadvantage of the SU is that it works the opposite way to most carbs -
instead of speeding up the fuel flow by giving it a squirt when you
press the throttle, it slows down the airflow by damping the piston, to
give the fuel time to catch up. This means that the throttle response is
a nano-second slower, although you'd never notice that unless you're on
the track, but it also makes them very economical carbs. That's why all
the best British cars fit them (or used to, before this new-fangled fuel
injection and computers came along); Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin,
Jaguar, MG - even my little Morris Minor has one. And soon my Corvair
will have a pair also ;)