<VV> Non Working Stock Tachometer in a '66

tony underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Mar 10 11:20:47 EDT 2020

> On March 9, 2020 at 3:35 PM Paul Siano via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
>

> Needle doesn't move when starting and driving...but moves just a little when turning the key off.
> Any suggestions about where I should start?
> Paul Siano

Maybe start under the hood.  If the tach is an earlier model year factory item for a '66, it will have a sending unit, usually mounted under the hood on the fender well.  It will have several wires attached to a terminal strip. Later tachs look the same but the electronics are internal.  The earlier tach is just a housing with a meter movement. The sending unit receives pulses from the distributor and converts them to a 'difference' DC voltage that moves the meter in the tach head unit.  The fact that the tach meter movement burps momentarily with the switch suggests the head unit is ok and maybe the sending unit as well, since it's sending Something to the head unit but it's not receiving pulses from the distributor.  Check the wiring to the distributor.

tony..