<VV> Turbo PG

Matt patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 17:46:44 EDT 2020

  Said the same thing at Flagstaff in 2002…and when I asked him about a Waste gate…. They didn’t know about them at the time.  IIRC…   Tom Keo.  Wasn’t there to tell people about his success by referencing YH  Needle position to boost.

Matt Nall
Sea Mountain
SW  Oregon Coast

Sent from Mail for Windows 666

From: Dan Timberlake via VirtualVairs

FWIW Robert P. Benzinger had this to say to the Corsa National Convention
Seattle, Washington, July 26, 1975.

“We wanted rather desperately to match up a turbocharger with an automatic transmission. It has some pretty attractive aspects about it. But we just could never make it go. The thing that you run into - and maybe some of you have even experimented yourself with this combination - is that when you wind up the engine in low gear, get the turbine wound up to full boost and then make the upshift, it suddenly pulls the engine RPM down with the boost still up where it belongs for a couple of thousand RPM higher. With the low engine speed and the blower still wound up, it gets
into combustion difficulties that makes wild detonation look pale. There was just nothing we could do to get the engine thru this rough spot. Once the malcombustion starts, you can't just shut it off again. Perhaps the availability of a three speed automatic or maybe a four speed would have done it by getting the gear steps tighter. But with Powerglide being a two speed set up we could never find anyway around it.”