<VV> V2 vs Saturn

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 05:12:01 EDT 2020

I can claim a tenuous link to Herr vn Braun - he was taught by the same
mane who taught my father - Hermann Oberth. The Oberth family had an
ironmonger's shop in the village in Transylvania where my father came
from. It may even still be there. Everybody thought Herr Oberth was
crazy with his talk of sending men to the Moon in space rockets.
I believe the Americans actually got a V2 into space, and they just
took it from there. So yes, there is a direct link between the V2 and
the Saturn V. But I will grant you that 'uprated' may not do it justice.
The Germans already had a design for a bomber that would skip across
the top of the atmosphere to reach America. And, unbelievably, they had
a plan to put a three mile-wide mirror in space to focus the Sun's rays
onto American cities and vaporise them. As with the Bomb, Hitler
resisted developing any weapons that would take a long time to reach
fruition, as he maintained the War would be over in a couple of years.
No sane German would have surrendered to the Russians, after the price
the Russians paid at the hands of the Nazis. 23 million Russians died in
WWII and we owe them a huge debt of gratitude.
All of which has nothing to do with Corvairs, other than the fact that
Hitler designed the VW Beetle, without which who knows whether the
Corvair would ever have been born?