<VV> Carburetor Mystery

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:01:06 EDT 2020

I don't know what the answer is.  Maybe you have already been down the path
I am about to suggest.

First off, you need to look at what common ground there is between the two
engines that could cause both to act up.  Second you need to look at what
differences there are between the stock carburetors and the modified one
that make the stock carburetors immune to the problem.  Keep in mind that a
strong shot from an accelerator pump only proves there was gas in the bowl,
not necessarily that there is enough fuel flow to keep the engine running.

The obvious common ground is the gasoline itself.  Changes could be in
composition or contamination.  Did you start using gas with ethanol?  That
could have changed by your choice or by a change in the local availability.
Did you start/stop adding some magic fuel additive?  Contamination could
have come in with a batch of gas.  It also could have been in the tank where
it wasn't causing any problem until some alcohol (whether ethanol fuel or
added drygas) or other "fuel system cleaner" picked it up and sent it to the
engine.

What can be different between the modified and stock carburetors?  When the
modified carbs were assembled (many years ago?), were now-antique parts used
that might not be compatible with ethanol?  A sticky rubber tip on a float
valve could cause problems.  Meanwhile, the stock carbs may have compatible
parts.  How about the filters in the carb inlets?  Old ones tend to slowly
loose flow capacity.  Add even a brief shot of dirty gasoline and you have
trouble.  Your water test, although valid for what it tests, does not test
flow though the filter or the needle valves.

These are just suggested places to look.  But whatever the problem is, the
source nearly has to be something common to the feeding of the modified
carburetors that the original carburetors are immune to.  Are the fuel line
connections identical with both sets of carbs or do they have to change when
you change carbs?

You may have already been down these paths.  But you didn't mention any of
them.

Jim Becker