<VV> LH lug nuts

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Mon Mar 23 19:18:44 EDT 2020

"We have always just had one wheel nut x 10 clamping the whole assembly together. On my caoches, you have the drum, then a spacer, the a pair of wheels."
I've never seen anything like that over here.

"The problem is not that this is too much to clamp together, it is that if you count all the mating surfaces from the hub flange outwards, that totals eight. If you have five thou of paint, dirt or rust on each surface, you will lose 1/16" in total when that lot wears off, so the nuts come loose."
That's what I was saying.  1/16" is way more than the bolt stretch that the proper torque creates so they end up with loose nuts.
If you don't use a torque wrench I'll bet you are way off.  I got away with it for many years but decided it would be better to have things right to give everything the best chance of survival.
I also clean and lube the surfaces when I have them apart.  I have had the need re-torque after a few miles especially when I've had to replace studs.

Joel McGregor