<VV> LH lug nuts

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 21:21:49 EDT 2020

I agree with some of what you say but not all. You are talking about
those square-ended studs I take it? Those have never existed in the UK.
We have always just had one wheel nut x 10 clamping the whole assembly
together. On my caoches, you have the drum, then a spacer, the a pair of
wheels. The problem is not that this is too much to clamp together, it
is that if you count all the mating surfaces from the hub flange
outwards, that totals eight. If you have five thou of paint, dirt or
rust on each surface, you will lose 1/16" in total when that lot wears
off, so the nuts come loose.
I always scurf each surface with a sanding disc, then treat them with a
spray of copper grease or cavity wax to stop them rusting with all the
salt they use on the roads in the UK, and to help the surfaces mate with
each other as they are tightened. I make sure all surfaces go back
together in the same orientation they were assembled. And I grease each
lug nut with copper grease or similar (yes I know copper grease is not
strictly a lubricant, but it serves for this purpose). And then I put
figure-of-eight spring clips over two pair of lug nuts. The Dept of
Transport is paranoid over what they call 'wheel loss syndrome' over
here, and they tell people to re-torque the wheels practically every
other day. But they never addres the issue of good engineering practice
or, for that matter, the issue of precession. Well, I never use a torque
wrench - I do them by feel - and I never re-check them (once after they
have been removed and re-fitted). And my wheel nuts never come loose.
The reason the front wheels never detach is simply because they have
less work to do. All the rotational forces are in one direction instead
of being continually reversed as on the drive axle. But it does indeed
matter what threads you have, even if the nuts stay tight. Wheels flex a
heck of a lot while they rotate, and this rotary distortion will tend to
undo the left side lug nuts. Normally it is nowhere near strong enough
to overcome the friction between the nut and the wheel, but it is always
working in the wrong direction. And when you have a lot of mating
surfaces and a bit of rust, paint or dirt thrwn into the mix, the forces
of precession will ovrcome the friction of the nut against the wheel.
And then you have 'wheel loss syndrome'!