<VV> LH lug nuts

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Sat Mar 21 19:41:27 EDT 2020

There is an answer to the wheels falling off and it isn't LH threads.  When the US changed to hub center wheels on trucks that isn't the only thing that changed.  The previous lug center system uses a fastener for each wheel so you only have 4 & 2 surfaces (drum + wheel, wheel) being clamped together.  When they changed to hub center they went to a single nut holding both wheels on which made it have to clamp 6 (drum + wheel + wheel) surfaces.  Any paint, dirt, rust, etc between the surfaces quickly becomes too much compressible junk for the bolt stretch at proper torque to overcome.  With the old hub center system the inner wheel would be loose more often in my experience but couldn't come off because of the outer wheel being tight.  The solution is to check the torque again soon after servicing a dual wheel.  Have you noticed it is always the rears that fall off?  If it was just the thread direction the fronts would fall off also.  Granted if they still used LH threads on the proper side they wouldn't fall off as often because the nuts wouldn't tend to spin off when they come loose.  If they are kept tight they don't fall off no matter which direction the threads turn.
Nothing has changed in the design here and wheels aren't falling off any longer.  I'm sure proper attention to torque has become mandatory.  I carry a torque wrench on my truck.
Joel McGregor