<VV> ‘65 Telescopic Horn Button

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 22:26:12 EDT 2020

G’day everyone,
If your like me and your daily activities have been limited because of the very serious issues around the Coronavirus then perhaps you might have time to offer some advice on the following two issues.

1/ Installing a centre steering wheel horn button (telescopic steering wheel).

Our ‘65 Monza has the simulated wood rim / telescopic steering wheel option. Apart from an issue with installing the centre horn button, all works well with this telescopic wheel. The issue.........

If I ‘push’ the centre button into place it then holds the horn on continually and if I then turn the chrome telescopic adjuster the centre horn button immediately pops off!

I have considered that perhaps the centre horn button needs to be installed before the chrome adjuster ring / nut is fitted but I don’t think that’s possible.

I should mention that the centre button I am trying to install is a reproduction Trim Parts version, but its looks a perfect reproduction in every respect.

Am trying to install in the wrong sequence or is there some other trick to fitting these centre horn button?

2/ Front seat belt moulding point

I am currently in the final stages of fitting a reproduction (Clarks Corvair) supplied molded carpet. All is going well including locating the vinyl heal pad on the right hand side. Our Corvair is Right Hand Drive. However I have come across one major issue. I have encountered is an outboard captive nut thats ‘appears’ to no longer be ‘captive’. When I try to tighten down the seat belt mounting bolt, I reach a point where it stops tightening and continues to turn.

I don’t see an easy way to address this problem other than cutting a hole next to the seat belt mounting point so that I can access the nut and stop it turning while I then tighten the mount bolt.

Can anyone tell me what this captive nut looks like inside the enclosed channel or offer any other advice as what I should do? I want to gain the best understanding of what I am dealing with before I start cutting a hole. The hole, I imagine could be filled with as rubber plug and of course would be covered by the carpet.

Everyone keep safe and wash your hands. Worrying times around the world right now.
Regards to all from Australia
Carl Kelsen