<VV> Blowing fuses

Kent Goddard kentgoddard at msn.com
Tue May 5 19:39:36 EDT 2020

Thanks all for the comments and sage advice.  Strangely the problem has disappeared, at least for now.  Saturday I took the car out of winter storage, it had a blown fuse and blew 2 fuses immediately upon installation.  Had to drive home at night with no tail/brake lights (but no ticket!).

Sunday I disconnected the clock by pulling the pin from wiring harness connector. Fuse held so I figured that must be the shorted circuit. Plugged the clock back in expecting fuse to blow but it didn't and clock worked fine. Opened the door so floor level courtesy lights were on (vert), opened glove box, turned on tail lights, stepped on brake, put into reverse and actuated turn signals all at same time to fully load the fuse - it held fine.  Drove the car to see if vibration would move something around and reestablish the short - nope, fuse held.

The courtesy bulbs are single contact #89 with cylindrical glass. You have to be careful when you pull the socket out of the holder because if the top rim of the bulb (at base of glass) touches the holder it will short.  Otherwise they work fine.  I've ordered the correct #631 replacement bulbs to see if the shape of the globe will eliminate the 'installation risk'.  BTW, the '66 wiring diagram shows power to the center contact which is incorrect on my car - power is on the shell side and ground (white wire) is on the center contact.

No recent work done on the car to cause the problem. No pet mice over the winter. The only thing that acts funky in this circuit is the turn signal switch which is a little 'limp' engaging and sometimes doesn't cancel when the steering wheel straightens.  Does anyone think this could be a probable cause for what is apparently an intermittent issue?

Apologies for being long winded.  ;-)

Kent G
St. Louis, MO