<VV> Front Spring Replacement

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Thu May 28 02:24:38 EDT 2020

When whacking the spindle to pop the ball joint taper loose, I loosen
the nut only a turn or two at most. I want plenty of thread there to
keep things restrained when the taper pops loose.
Of course the car is supported well, and the spring is trying to push
the ball joint down through the spindle knuckle.
I suppose the spring force would be greater if you jacked the control
arm/spindle up and added a spacer (2x4?) under the upper control arm
about where the rebound bumper is. That way the spring would be more
compressed and hence pushing harder against the lower control arm.
I suppose some penetrating oil on the taper wouldn't hurt either.
Actually a second person to hold the backing hammer would be nice. I've
never had such a person available when I was actually ready to start
whacking.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal