<VV> glass question

WADE LANNING wblanning at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 10:21:33 EST 2021

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 12:34:40 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Randy (Cap'n) Hook" <judynrandy at comcast.net>
> To: "virtualvairs at corvair.org" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
> Subject: <VV> glass question
>
> I have a question.  What, exactly, would be the best way to remove a windshield and back window from a '65 4-door?  Numerous people have said to "use a piece of 'piano wire' ", but no one who suggested it had ever done it that way.  So, where does one GET a piece of 'piano wire'? A friend mentioned a tool Napa sells to accomplish this task.  I got one.  It works, sort of.  The problem is that the black goop they glue the windows in with has pertified and is as hard as concrete.  A friend gave me a very small piece of braided wire.  This worked for about 5 inches, then frayed and broke.  These glass items are tinted glass and I really don't want to break them, as that would ruin the complete set.   Anyhow, I was wondering.........are there any chemicals I could soak the black goop with to make it softer and easier to cut through?  I thought about trying to lace it with a little gasoline, but don't want to hurt the tinted glass.  All thoughts and opinions welcome.  I need help with t
 hi
>  s one.
>
> Randy (Cap'n) Hook
> '69 Monza coupe
> '65 500 coupe

I recently broke a windshield I was trying to remove that had been installed with a urethane or something that was extremely hardened.  I barely touched the windshield with one of those special windshield tool and it broke.

Note the back window is not laminated, so they tend to be stronger than the laminated windshield.  I saw a guy place a LM coupe rear window on a concrete floor with only the ends touching the floor, then stood on it and it didn't break.  The 4-door is flatter, but should be strong too, so you might want to perfect your technique on the rear window first.

Also, if you have one of those vibrating multi-tools that has a flat serrated blade attachment, you might consider trying to use it.  Go between the pinch moulding window track and sealer, not between the window and sealer.  Once you get the windows out your can more easily remove the remaining sealer without breaking the glass.

Let us know how it goes.  Good luck!

Wade Lanning