<VV> Cam Timing Question

larry at forman.net larry at forman.net
Mon Jul 19 00:58:34 EDT 2021

Hi Frank,
Good question.   The difference is the relatively low and controlled
instantaneous torque from the starter motor versus the potentially huge
and uncontrolled instaneous torque when popping the clutch at maybe up
to 20 to 30 mph.  I am sure you were careful, but not everyone is.  The
starter motot is geared down by that ring gear, but the momentum is
large if the car is moving at much speed and the gearing is pretty high
through the rear end and first gear, if that is used.

Larry