<VV> Cylinder Hardness Part II

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Jun 21 01:54:52 EDT 2021

On 6/20/2021 5:49 PM, Charles h. Sadek via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Thank you, Kind of info I am looking for.
> Chuck

If there's a question as to whether a cast iron cylinder is hard enough,
cast iron Can be hardened via proper heating/cooling/cycling.   I was
watching closely as at least one major auto manufacturer began
addressing the lack of tetra-ethyl lead in motor fuels which could cause
exhaust seat erosion in cast iron cylinder heads.  While some makers
went to hardened seat inserts, some other makers began using
induction-hardening around the exhaust valve seat area in their regular
production cast iron heads that had been relatively unchanged since
1958.  Lots cheaper than cutting valve seats and pressing in hardened
seat inserts.

Cast iron hardening has been happening for quite a while, via flame
hardening or induction hardening.  Iron cylinder hardening is a part of
the manufacturing process for most commercial vehicle engines (diesels)
that get worked long and hard.   No reason a Corvair cylinder couldn't
be hardened the same way.

tony..

--
https://www.avg.com