<VV> Hot Start

Vairzwa vairzwa at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:42:50 EST 2022

Hot start issue may be the valve adjustment is too tight.
Check manifold vacuum when cold and again when hot.
If manifold vacuum is stable when cold and erratic when hot, do a valve adjustment.

Many ideas out there on how to adjust the valves.  Hot/Cold/Running/Off.
I prefer adjusting hot while running.  1/2 a turn down from when the valve stops clicking
NEVER more than 3/4 turn down.

Take your time. Back the adjustment off until the valve starts clicking.
Wait a few seconds. If the click goes away as the lifter pumps up, back it off a little more.
Retighten the adjustment until the clicking just stops, then SLOWLY tighten down an additional 1/2 turn.

As you SLOWLY tighten down the adjustment, the engine will start to run a little rough, but in a few seconds, it should smooth out again.
If It doesn't smooth out after a few seconds the lifter may be collapsed.

If it appears the lifter may be collapsed, before replacing lifters, try using an upper cylinder lubricant.

I prefer adding a quart of Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil, but there are lots of ideas out there like:
- Run 50/50 ATF/10W oil
- Sea Foam
- Run an engine detergent in your gasoline, and use a higher-octane gas. Often, fuel system cleaners or detergents can free up engine debris and stop a valve lifter from ticking. This often works as quickly as one tank of fuel
- Use an engine flush, and then change your oil. Engine flush products are available at many auto parts stores. Most do not recommend that your run your engine long with the flush in, as it loosens debris and can clog oil filters and thin oil, decreasing its protection. Once you have followed the directions of the engine flush, change your oil and filter. Run your vehicle for about 500 miles, using higher-octane detergent gasoline, and change your oil and filter again. This is often all that's necessary to free a stuck valve lifter.

Gary Mierzwa, Vairzwa
WFCC
Chapter 325