<VV> Maybe the starter.

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Oct 18 19:52:53 EDT 2022

yeah, this is an old thread-

if you have a starter out, you can see pretty clearly if the bushings
are good or not - see if there is side play of the shaft in the bushing.
They shouldn't ever get bad enough for the armature to drag, but they can.

The solenoid - easy stuff, look at the contact plate and its contacts.
If they are rough, smooth them off.
Some solenoids you can flip the plate to get a fresh surface. Of course,
someone may have done that already.

Commutator - it can wear and so can the brushes. If you replaces the
brushes you should resurface (typ in a lathe) the commutator.
Of course, if its not too bad, you could prob just run the sucker
unloaded (on the bench) for a minute or two to let the brushes seat.

BTW- should certainly grease the bushings - don't know what's best, but
wheel bearing grease or general purpose white lithium grease would be
much better than nothing.
cheers
Jay