<VV> Steering Box Lube

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Wed Nov 29 06:13:14 EST 2023

I use Permatex #2 on the threads of the lower adjustment cup.

Bill

On Nov 29, 2023, at 1:34 AM, Seth Emerson via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

 It is worth noting that neither the original GM Boxes or any of the repro/aftermarket, including the Flaming River boxes, have any seal at the lower adjustment cup or lock ring. They rely on the interference fit of the threads of the cup into the housing and the lock ring pulling it even tighter for a seal. Generally, it is enough to seal a grease. It is not enough to seal a liquid - like an oil. One of the first issues that Flaming River had was the lube they put in the first boxes. It was a mix of oil and grease that would separate in time. The grease was lighter so it went to the top, the oil to the bottom - and often out through the big threads in drips. This happened more frequently to cars/boxes which sat for months.
They changed the formula -I was told - and later boxes were much better. I have used the Tractor Supply OO Grease and it has been fine. I think Gary's Mobilgrease below would probably be okay too. Feel free to "brew" your own if you wish. The new boxes that I supply have #3 Lithium Lubricant Grease from the manufacturer.
- Seth Emerson