<VV> Question on Hot Knocking - Update

Todd Miller chieftam at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 10:57:34 EDT 2023

I thought I would provide an update on the Hot Knocking (or pre-ignition) in my 69 Monza Convertible, 110 hp, 4-speed.
 I bought some Boostane Professional Octane Booster from Amazon and added enough to bring the 93 octane fuel up to 98.  They have an app that tells you how much to add to whatever octane you put it in to bring it up to your preferred octane.  I drove the car 65 miles yesterday to deliver it to my son's for the wedding and it ran really well.  When hot, I might have heard some very brief, much quieter pinging/pre-ignition one time while taking off from a stop sign.  I might be sensitive to the sound, but it is SO MUCH BETTER!  I didn't want to retard the timing because the car runs so well.  I only need 4.5 ounces of the stuff to bring a tank of 93 octane to 98.  Adding a little more would raise the octane to 101 or more.  So, for the price of one gallon of Premium per tank, I am able to raise the octane up and have the performance I expect as well as severely reducing or completely eliminating the pre-ignition when hot.  I will play with the amount as I go on but I am guessing that the more I run it the better it will get.
 Thanks for all the responses.  Great people and a great forum! Todd in Texas69 Monza Convertible 110/4spd65 Corsa Convertible 180/4spd