<VV> Question on Hot Knocking

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 15:04:38 EDT 2023

Frank,
 Yes, carbon removal with the use of water is a good idea in general though it seems Todd's engine probably isn't a good candidate for this treatment. You are correct that pouring water down the carb with a bottle could lead to a spill that will immediately lock the engine and cause damage to rods, pistons and bearings.  To avoid this possibility, I use a squirt bottle.  To be effective, you will need a squirt bottle set to a healthy squirt not just a mist.  This allows you to control the amount of water entering the engine and avoid risking damage.  This method also permits you to give this treatment to a turbo carb. Changing the discussion back to a previous point in this thread....  Todd, even though your octane booster seems to have mostly solved your knocking problem, I would suggest you try retarding your timing a bit.  I understand that you don't want to risk degrading the performance of an engine that seems fine other than the knocking.  keep in mind, if the engine doesn't like the new setting, you can easily return it to the old timing and return to your octane booster fix.  Record the original setting.  If the new setting works, you (or another driver) won't need to buy the booster and suffer the hassle of measuring out liquid in varied amounts when you fill the tank.  To test the new timing, you will need to have a fresh supply of gas without the booster.  Changing the timing and using the booster at the same time will tell you nothing about the proposed retarded timing fix. Doc~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~