<CORSA Chapters> Club Autocross Corvair

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 9 23:19:14 EDT 2006

David, If you think that $4m is expensive for  333 runs then you need
to find out
how much was spent by Central Florida to get their car safe, mechanically sound
and dependable enough to compete. We have raced the Beef Car from August 2003
until March 2006. That's 2 1/2 years of racing. The cars that had
"Heart of Georgia"
designations are both individual's cars. You can be assured that both
of those racers
have a lot more than $4m invested in them. The Beef car is Gray and
if you looked at the
web site you would have seen that it was rolled with sponge paint
rollers and a gallon
of  Rustoleum "Navy Gray" Oil Enamel. The paint job cost less than
$40 total and took
about 1 1/2 hours. Southeastern Corvair Council (SECC)

Cheers,
Chuckster
///////////////////////////////////////////////////

At 01:54 PM 4/9/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks for the replies!!:
>Gail Policella
>Padgett
>Barry Ellison
>FrontMan (Chuck Armer)
>Tim Mahler
>Bryan Blackwell
>
>You all had very encouraging & supportive remarks!  We are at the very
>beginning stages, so we have a lot to learn & find out.  What I am
>hearing is that it is very doable AND worthwhile which is what we wanted
>to hear.  I'll bet if every club did this it would be done in a
>different way depending on membership wants & available resources.
>Gail, you mentioned the opportunity you hope to take advantage of by
>running a club car since all you have is a Greenbrier.  I'll bet that
>you will be more tempted to run your Brier once you have some "training"
>under your belt!  I've watched a lot of FC's run at the conventions &
>they do much better than expected- plus a lot of fun!  I am hoping this
>concept will awaken the suppressed autocross thoughts within our club
>members- once they get the bug, they'll want to run their own cars.
>
>OK, I'm a little confused as to what club autocross cars are out there.
>Are several of you talking about the SAME car??  I wonder how many
>others are out there as well?  Gail & Padgett mentioned the CFC club car
>(Padgett sent me a picture- white cp. with #328 & a picture of FL on the
>side).  Barry, you mentioned the SECC car that is white with blue
>stripes.  Is that the one that says "Heart of GA Corvair Club?" on the
>front fender?  Doesn't SECC stand for South East Central Corvair (just a
>guess)?  I looked on www.corvair.org, but couldn't find it with a quick
>look.  Chuck, you sent me to the web site that shows the #112 car that
>you did so much work on.  Is that a different car, or just before it was
>painted white?  You mentioned almost $4,000 spent.  Wow!  I'm not sure
>we're ready to spend that much just yet!!
>
>I'm going to report back to our board with all of your positive remarks,
>plus info.  I think it will be enough to get the ball rolling.  We
>currently have a title-less 61 cp that is pretty well stripped that was
>slated for the crusher.  We have a 64 rear susp. that we can use, but
>much to do from there on.  It is windowless & we plan on running it that
>way for now, although there may be restrictions with SCCA, or others,
>like that.  I agree with several of you that cosmetics are important,
>but as Tim mentioned, that can come later.

big snippero

>Thanks again for your help!!
>Dave
>Corvair Houston